Moravian Center Adult Day is the mission of the Lancaster Moravian Congregation. The Congregation was located at 30 West Orange Street in Lancaster (now the site of the Lancaster Chamber of Commerce) from 1746 until 1967, when the congregation moved to 1460 Eden Road. In March of 2014 the church on Eden Road was sold to Harvest Bible Church.
While in temporary resident at Moravian Manor, in Lititz, renovations began on the second floor of the RRTA building located at 227 North Queen Street Lancaster. This is now the home of “The Moravian Center” housing both the Lancaster Moravian Church, for Sunday worship, as well as the Adult Day program during the week.
Moravian Center Adult Day received state licensing in August 2015, accepted our first client October 1, 2015 and will hold our Grand Opening – Open House and Ribbon Cutting event on November 6, 2015.
Our Faith’s journey has come full circle with a renewed mission to serve the Lancaster community again from where we first began in 1746.
Full Timeline for The Moravian Center –
- May, 2009 – First congregational meeting held to discuss the future of Lancaster Moravian Church
- 2010-2013 – Research, Assessment, Inquiry & Development phase
- April, 2013 – A series of forums to help Lancaster Moravian Church critically look at all aspects of church. During this time, the Joint Board unified as the leadership team.
- November, 2012 – Think Tank group starts meeting to find creative ways to use facility.
- March, 2013 – Adult Day Services mission concept presented.
- April, 2013 – Adult Day Services adviser/consultant is hired to research and report on the need, requirements, and funding of an Adult Day Services program, during the next 3 months.
- August, 2013 – Special Church Council affirmed the Adult Day Services program as the primary mission of Lancaster Moravian Church and approved search for a location for both Adult Day Services and the congregation. The search resulted in consideration of over 120 possible locations including renovating the current church building .
- March, 2014 – Church Council votes to accept the bid for 1460 Eden Road building from Harvest Bible Church.
- June, 2014 – Final settlement of Church sale. Search for new location continues.
- July, 2014-June, 2015 – Worship services are conducted at Moravian Manor in Lititz.
- August, 2014 – Congregation approves leasing of 227 N. Queen Street. Architect was hired.
- February, 2015 – Director of Adult Day is hired.
- March 2015 – Architect is hired for renovations.
- April 2015 – Construction begins on the 2nd floor of 227 N. Queen Street.
- July 1 2015 – Certificate of Occupancy granted from City of Lancaster.
- August 17, 2015 – State Licensing approval from Department of Long Term Care.
- September 18, 2015 – Moravian Center Adult Day becomes “Approved Vendor” for Lancaster County Office of Aging.
- October 1, 2015 – First client enrolled.
- November 6, 2015 – Grand Opening / Open House and Ribbon Cutting.
- November 8, 2015 – Dedication of Lancaster Moravian Church and Adult Day during worship service.